5. CHOOSE ALKALINE FOOD
" Cancerous tissues are acidic, whereas healthy tissues are alkaline” - Dr. Otto Warburg
In 1923, Dr. Otto Heinrich Warburg discovered that the real cause of cancer is due to a breakdown in oxygen based energy production, and as cancer adapts to hypoxia, the fermentative metabolism gives rise to acidic internal environment.
What you need to know about pH?
Humans have a very specific need to maintain a proper pH balance (potential hydrogens) in the body. Acidity and alkalinity are measured with a logarithmic scale called pH. The pH scale ranges from 0 to 14 and a pH of 7 is considered neutral (eg. pure water). Fluids that have a pH below 7 are considered acidic whereas pH above 7 – are considered to be alkaline. It's not in the scope of this handbook to discuss the fundamentals of pH and how our body regulates the acid-alkaline balance of its fluids. However, it is important to know that one of the basic requirements for a healthy body is the proper balance between acidity and alkalinity (pH). It is also important to know that the pH of the body affects cancer growth.
Diseases thrive in an acidic, low oxygen and low pH environment
Newer research has also proven that diseases, viruses, bacteria, yeast, mold, fungus, candida and cancer cells thrive in an acidic, low oxygen and low pH environment. When cancer cells grow, they produce even more acid through the process of fermentation. This results in the reduction of oxygen which is needed by the healthy cells. In 1930, Dr. Keith Brewer, PhD (physicist) performed experiments on the relationship between energized, oxygenated cell membrane and elemental uptake, vs. cellular membranes in an unenergized state such as cancer cells exhibit. He noted that cancer cells share one characteristic no matter what type of cancer: they have lost their pH control mechanism. Brewer's summary conclusion regarding cancer was that by changing the pH of cancer cells to alkaline (above 7.5), they will cease to function as they need an acidic, anaerobic environment to thrive (1).
Your body functions best in an alkaline medium.
A high alkaline level within the body makes it easier for cells to discard waste and toxins. By maintaining an alkaline pH, you’ll be helping to protect your body’s cells in addition to discouraging the development and growth of cancerous cells. Therefore eating alkalizing food is an helpful way to make the body inhospitable to cancer.
Principles of alkaline therapy
The principles of pH therapy are very simple and is based in part on observations of cultures without significant incidence of cancer and in part on scientific observations of and experimentation with cellular metabolism. The metabolism of cancer cells has a very narrow pH tolerance for cellular proliferation (mitosis), which is between 6.5 and 7.5. As such, theoretically, if you can interfere with cancer cell metabolism by either lowering or raising the internal cancer cell pH, you can stop cancer progression. There is in fact a long history of reversing cancer simply by alkalinizing the body and it is one of the basic strategies in the battle against cancer and for improving your health in general.
Strategies to alkalize the body
One of the best things you can do to correct an ‘acidic’ body is to clean up your diet and lifestyle. Taking action to make your body more alkaline is vital in the battle against cancer. The good news is that you can influence your body's pH by making a few simple changes as listed below.
- - Eat a diet rich in raw vegetables and fruits because these are generally alkaline forming. An alkaline diet based on vegetables and fruits create an inhospitable environment for cancer growth and proliferation, while at the same time strengthens the immune function and supports healthy cells in the body through improved nutrition.
- - Increase the number of alkalizing foods and drinks and reduce the amount of acid forming ones in your diet. The ratio depends on your current health condition, for example to maintain health, your diet should consist of approximately 60% alkaline forming foods and 40% acid forming foods. In cancer treatment the diet should increase to about 80% alkaline forming foods and 20% acid forming foods - knowing which foods have an effect on the body’s pH helps to establish a balanced diet that leads to optimal health.
- - Drink a glass of lemon water to start your day (plain water with a few squeezes of lemon).
- - Drink alkalline salt water. Another way of alkalizing the body is by taking alkaline salt (eg. Sodium bicarbonate) orally as prescribed. Baking soda will provide your body with a strong pH buffering agent. Sodium itself is a potent alkalizing agent. Just mix half a teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of warm water and stir. Drink normally.
Very important point to note: Don't be paranoid about balancing the ratio exactly. As long as you stick to whole fruit and vegetable diet and avoiding the ‘acidic food’, you should be able to achieve the 80 – 20 balance of alkaline / acidic ratio.
Avoid/minimize the following ‘acid forming’ food
0 Avoid white flour (and products made of white flour), white sugar, white rice, sugary beverages such as soda, processed fruit drinks, and energy drinks.
0 Avoid high carbohydrate food with simple sugars
0 Avoid Pharmaceutical drugs. They are usually toxic to the human body, and they cause disruptions in the gastrointestinal tract (they are specifically designed to disable systems of the body, for the sake of symptom suppression).
0 Avoid artificial chemical sweeteners like NutraSweet, Equal, Splenda or Aspartame, these are extremely acid-forming( and are also potent excitotoxins )
0 Avoid all highly processed and hydrogenated oils such as corn oil, soy oil, sunflower oil, canola and all types of margarine.
0 Limit alcohol - red wine is an exception but drink in moderation
0 Limit coffee intake to once a day (one cup and preferably sugar-free)
0 Limit meat and dairy products (refer to item 10)
Additional points to note on pH
- Every food is either alkaline or acidic, but it is not necessarily true that if a food tastes acidic that it will be acid-forming in the body. For example, lemons taste very acidic but theyactually help alkalize the body. The most important thing to note is not what the pH of the food is in its natural state – but rather the effect the food has inside the body.
- Not all acidic foods are bad for you. Some fruits are acidic eg. banana but it has many health benefits. Banana is one of your best sources of potassium (> 400mg), an essential mineral for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function. It is also rich in a vitamin C, B6 and a good source of manganese, dietary fiber, biotin, and copper. Acidic foods such as these can be consumed. What you need to do is to cut down on sugar (which is acidic) and opt for a banana instead.
- It is also important to note that each number on pH scale( logarithmic ) represents a tenfold difference from the adjacent numbers. In other words, a liquid that has a pH of 6 is ten times more acidic than a liquid that has a pH of 7, and a liquid with a pH of 5 is one hundred times more acidic than pure water. Most carbonated soft drinks have a pH of about 3, making them about ten thousand times more acidic than pure water. These drinks dehydrate you.
- As always let your common sense guide you - eat a wide variety of healthy foods with lots of organic vegetables and fruits, some amounts of carbohydrate as in brown rice, oats, quinoa, buckwheat etc., protein from ‘clean meat and fish’, nuts and legumes and consumption of good ‘fat’ will help to keep you in balance.
Alkaline therapy is to be used in a supporting role to conventional treatment, which will only improve the long-term outcome for patients. Proper breathing, exercise and adequate water intake further improve pH to discourage cancer growth.
Source: 1. Cancer: The Mechanism Involved and a High pH Therapy, 1978 papers of A. Keith Brewer, Ph.D. & co-authors, Copyright A. Keith Brewer Foundation, 325 N. Central Ave., Richland Center, Wis, 53581.